The art of virtual storytelling is a gift that some writers possess. All writers can practice and become better at their craft. Look over the ideas below on how to improve your virtual storytelling and then go online and write your first Internet story!
- If you are writing about an action taking place, go out and perform that action. Toss a bucket of water or throw a ball. It can help you in your description of the action. You can also observe a sport or event that is related to your story. Active research is an important part of virtual storytelling.
- When you are writing an action scene, most of the descriptive writing should be about the action. Long descriptions of the characters can be written in the introduction. Keep the focus on the action and this will keep the pace of the story moving along.
- If you are writing speech for the characters (also called dialogue), keep it short during action scenes. In real life people don’t have long conversations during an activity. Try to use active verbs to describe the action. When you rewrite, try to think of different verbs to describe what is going on. Check out a thesaurus for ideas.
- Try to develop your main character fully. Where do they come from and how old are they? Readers enjoy a character that they can relate to. If the main character could be the reader or someone they know, the reader is going to be drawn into the story.
- State what the conflict will be early in the story. Conflict can be some outside force or raging within the main character. Defining the conflict keeps your story moving in the right direction.
- As mentioned before, try to keep the story moving and don’t weigh it down with too many details especially when you are writing for the Internet audience. Bring your story to a dramatic climax (high point) and then tie up most of the loose ends. Good virtual storytelling often involves leaving the reader wondering a little, but not too much.
- Pretend to tell your story out loud to an audience. This can help you end up with a more natural-sounding story. Use the elements of character, plot, and sequence to lead the audience on a journey through your imagination.
Great virtual storytelling is an art; it can be learned and improved upon. It is interactive, exciting and fun. Think of a story you would like to tell and get started writing today.
Here are more articles to help you improve your virtual storytelling and to learn how to write stories on the Internet.
Creative Writing Ideas for Kids to Explore Online
10 Funny Blog Ideas to Get Kids Laughing
Funny Blog Ideas to Write About
Funny Blog Ideas
Blog Writing Grammar and Punctuation Rules
Overcoming the Big Blog Writing Block
13 Easy Ways to Write a First Class Blog Post