Sidebars are very important part of blog. It contains everything apart from the content, which is in the main post, but that doesn’t mean that sidebar is not important. In fact it is more important as it will contain all the information about the blog. A blog’s sidebars can be packed with anything the blogger wants, but it is better to add something worthwhile.
When people visit a blog, they search for certain information which they will find only in sidebars. Like:
- Information about author: this part tells a reader about the writer or owner of the blog. With this small write-up guests can right away understand your level of knowledge or interest in the blog’s topic.
- Author’s picture: few of the bloggers put up their profile pictures for their readers to know whose blog are they reading. This gives a blog a personalized feeling.
- Contact information: bloggers who want constant interaction with their readers put up their contact information, so as to sell something, render some service, etc. It helps to render good business.
- Categories: your blog can deal with many categories and sub headings. It is easier for a person to choose a post from categories listing and hence it becomes an important part of blog sidebars.
- Email subscription option/RSS subscription: some blogs are constantly and regularly updated and give you an option to subscribe their newsletters or contents. This is also placed in the sidebar.
- Blogroll: it helps to promote a blog with networking of bloggers of one interest.
- Links to archives by date: few people look for older contents, for them you can create a list.