These days more school-age children in the world use computers for their study purpose. It has become a necessity especially for students who use it for blogging on educational topics.
Many people buy a computer for educational purposes. It can be called buying for ‘edutainment’. There is a wide range of software that is informative and entertaining. For example, one can satisfy their hunger for knowledge with one of the computer-based encyclopedias. Computers make it easier to put together well-presented school assignments and projects.
What to look for in a computer
When you are looking for your first computer, it is a good idea to do a little research ahead of time. When you are buying for education purposes, Internet access is very important. For that you need a fast processor. We recommend Pentium III 500 and a fast modem with which the computer connects to the Internet. The memory in the computer doesn’t need to be as high as in a gaming computer. 64 MB of SDRAM is plenty to surf the web. A good video card is a nice thing to have with all the different web pages being so graphic now days. An 8 MB video card is more than enough for this use.
Our recommendations for a good system for students
- At least a 600MHz (preferably a 1 GHz) Pentium III/Athlon processor
- 128MB+ RAM
- 3rd generation DVD-ROM w/decoder card(for playing DVD movies)
- Zip drive
- 20 GB+ hard drive
- USB and Fire wire(IEEE 1394) ports
- 3D accelerated graphics card w/16MB+ video memory
- A 32/64 bit sound card
- A good set of speakers, preferably a 4.1 or 5.1 set with THX certification
- A 56Kbps modem, or if service is available in your area, a cable modem
- A 19″ or better monitor
- Microsoft Office Bundle for PC is good catch
- Wireless Internet access is optional but recommended
You can buy a PC as a package from a reputable computer company like Dell or Toshiba. Both of these companies sell top quality equipment at rock bottom prices and they have friendly sales and support staff.
•Dell Dimension 3000 (D30RS) PC: It’s the perfect computer for basic users. Everything is in the back of the computer and the plug-ins are color coded, which makes setting up a lot easier. It is cheap, very reliable and inexpensive. It’s perfect for writing blogs, write papers, surf the net, chat online, etc.