You can create a beautiful website with good content that has meaning and use to a large numbers of people, but if you don’t get any links, you will not have achieved anything.
Hyper linking is all about linking to pages you like and getting linked by pages that your site likes. Links are good source for SEO, which increases the traffic on one’s website.
Links are the lifeline of the World Wide Web.
There are mainly two types of links
Inbound links: also known as back links. They are basically ones that come from an external site to your site. It helps search engines to determine what other people think your site is all about. Good back links are from ones from reputable websites. They are preferably from sites which have related themes and topics. Web directories like dmoz.org or dir.yahoo.com are a few examples of reputable directories whose links are worth keeping.
Outbound links: they are the ones that start from your site and lead to another site. These links help the search engines determine which neighborhood you live in and what your own site is about. They are somewhat less valuable than the inbound links but are entirely within the control of the person who is writing the web page and a chance of spamming is avoided.
Now comes the question, why are links important?
- A page with lots of page links to other pages is valued more by search engines. By having many links to any particular page, the search engines will consider that the web page must be important.
- Links helps you to get a high ranking in search engines like Google. They boost Google page rank and Technorati ranking.
- In SEO, inbound links are important as they help in creating consistency for your website and can be a noteworthy component of your linking strategy.
- Search engine crawler moves all around the Internet. They follow the links and then index a web page. The more links in a web page, the more are the chances that the web page will be indexed.
- The traffic generated from links is more targeted than any traffic you receive from search engines.
- Linking can be slow and time-consuming process but if done correctly gives good results.