Remember these 4 rules when learning to write stories.
And don’t forget to keep in mind that a short story writer can use similar rules for writing as those who write longer pieces of fiction.
#1 – Keep the list of characters short when learning to write stories. A short story does not offer much time to develop characters. You must also choose a point of view for the story; will you be telling the story from the main character’s viewpoint or as an unnamed observer? You can choose from many different points of view, but it is best to use only one in a short story. When planning your story, decide on a specific time frame. A short story should not try to cover a long period of time. Keep it short and sweet!
#2 – Each sentence of the story should move the story action forward or describe a character. Extra sentences that don’t do one of these jobs should be removed.
#3 – A short story should have the same structure as any work of fiction.
- Introduction: It needs to be short and give information about the main characters. You should move into describing the conflict as soon as possible.
- Conflict: The main question to be answered in the story is the conflict.
- Rising action: This is also called development. It involves the struggles that the characters go through.
- Climax: The climax is the turning point; the main question or problem of the story is answered.
- Denouement or resolution: The writer answers all the remaining questions of the story.
A short story can break some of these rules or follow them in a different order. For beginning writers it may be better to stick to these steps when learning to write stories. As you read stories by other authors, try to pick out the different steps.
#4 – The main character in your short story should be described in great detail. Think about the character’s name, age, and appearance. Also, decide what is causing this person to act a certain way in the story; why are they doing what they are doing?
Learning to write stories can be easy if you follow the rules listed above and develop your main character. Break a rule sometimes. Read great stories as a way to improve your writing. Have fun as you write your own inventive stories.
Kids Learn to Blog’s most popular articles on the topic!
3 Awesome Writing Programs for Aspiring Kid Authors
Lessons Come Alive With Digital Storytelling
Creative Writing Ideas for Kids to Explore Online
The Art of Virtual Storytelling
The following academic writing tips can be very useful for kids.