Plugins are added advantages in functionality of various applications. They can be used by various applications like Photoshop, Eudora, web browsers like Firefox, Internet Explorer and blog interfaces like blogger, WordPress and Joomla.
Some plugins are common for all programs; others perform individual function for any particular software. Mainly well designed plugins is program specific as they cater the need perfectly.
All plugins have a variety of functions. When you install a plug-in, it will depend on parent application and type of plug-in itself.
Web browsers use plugins to develop the collection of set-ups that they can exhibit. Most of the time they are related to external programs like QuickTime, adobe flash, acrobat documents.
If and when these programs are needed by the web browser, they will need an external interface to make them run, here plugins are great help as they are modules specially designed to do this work. It can be displayed in many formats like it will appear into the browser or have its own view, or can be in embedded form or be in the background and support.
One of the major uses of Plugins is it helps in doing SEO for blogs. It can increase page rank, page traffic, and make your blog more popular. Most of the time you will find these plugins are available free of cost on internet.
Here are ten popular ones:
- Simple Archive Generator: it helps in producing posts list under all categories list by name.
- Google XML Sitemap Generator: it helps in creating a Google site maps compliant XML-Sitemap for WordPress blogs.
- SG Clean Archives: it produces lists of all post month wise.
- Google Sitemap Append UTW Tags: it helps in appending all blog tags generated by the Ultimate Tag Warrior. It is basically a WordPress plug-in.
- All in One SEO Pack: it helps in optimization of titles for search engines.
- SEO Friendly Images: it helps in updating all images with proper ALT and TITLE attributes.
- Nofollow Case by Case: helps in commenting, ping-backs or track-backs.
- SEO Title: it helps in making it simple to optimize the title tags across WordPress blogs.
- Excerpts Editor: it helps in providing a suitable place for creating and editing all excerpts.
- Robots Meta: it helps in prevention of indexing of search result pages, sub-pages to your home-page, tag pages, login, admin pages, etc. by adding no-index robots Meta tags.