Blogroll is one of the major constituents of a blog’s sidebar. Not that it is a very necessary item, but it is an efficient item. Blogroll is actually a list of links to some of the good blogs that blogger thinks are good and important. It is like a recommendation from a blogger to readers. So a blogger always takes special care in selection of blogs to which he is linking.
They can also categorize the blogroll into different section based on topics, which are updated. Although there is no hard and fast rule to create a blogroll list, bloggers prefer to add the blogs related to the main theme and topic of their blog.
Though bloggers can manage these blogrolls by themselves as a list of hypertext reference, there are also some tools available in market to manage these blogrolls. For example, BlogRolling.com provides with easy setup to manage list of your blog or journal.
Advantages of blogroll
- When you add a blogroll in your blog, you encourage other bloggers to do the same to whom you are linking and increases your inbound linking. This will increase your page rank and bring additional traffic to your blog.
- If a blogger maintains any other blog, you can also add that blog’s link in the blogroll, and vice versa. If you are working for some other blog, you can also give its reference in your blogroll to make your work popular. For example, if different students in the class have various blogs, their teacher can add all those blogs in her blogroll to centralize all students blog. By doing this their blog becomes popular as well as easy to find.
- They are known to be great blog traffic boosters, as interlinking makes visitor go to your blog. It will publicize your blog in the blogosphere. The more links in your blogroll the greater are the chances that visitors will be directed to your blog.
When adding a blogroll on your blog, there are few unwritten rules to be remembered. They are called as Blogroll Etiquette. Here are few of them:
- When a blogger puts a link to someone else’s blog in his blogroll, the other party must do the same. That is reciprocate by adding that blog’s link in their own blogroll.
- Sometime you may not like the blog of the person who has added you in their blogroll. At that time you should at least review it once by visiting the blog. If you still find it inappropriate then do not add it to your list.